HRT’s Developmental Home Program

  • Established in 1998
  • Serves Individuals with Developmental Disabilities through a contract with the Arizona Division of Developmental Disabilities
  • Utilizes Licensed, Family Home Settings for Residential Placement
  • Matches Family Strengths with Members Needs
  • Encourages Maximum Family and Community Involvement
  • Challenging, Demanding, Rewarding Pursuit
  • Strong Agency-Level Support
  • Makes a Difference in Attitudes about Individuals with Disabilities

What is a Developmental Home?

A Developmental Home is a licensed, family-home setting in which individuals with special needs reside. Developmental Home Providers are responsible for all aspects of care for the individual in their home. Providers are encouraged to incorporate individuals into as many aspects of family life as possible, including leisure, vacations, faith-based activities, meal preparation, etc. Providers receive a daily compensation for room and board and habilitation for days the individual is present.

Who is served in a Developmental Home?

Children (Children Developmental Home) and Adults (Adult Developmental Homes) with developmental disabilities can live in a licensed home. Developmental disabilities include autism, cerebral palsy, down syndrome, epilepsy, and cognitive disabilities.

What is required to get licensed?

You may be eligible for licensure if you meet all of the following qualifications:

* Are at least 21 years of age
* Obtain a fingerprint clearance card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety
* Pass the protective service registry checks
* Are lawfully present in the U.S. and reside in Arizona
* Are free of medical, physical, or mental health problems that could interfere with the provision of safe care for a child or vulnerable adult.
* Are able to provide a child or adult with a clean bed and sufficient bedroom space
* Have sufficient income to meet the needs of your family
* Are able to meet and maintain the life-safety requirements for the home or apartment.

Once I am licensed, how long does it take to get a placement?

This can vary from a few weeks to several months, depending on referral patterns, home suitability, and member/family choice. The placement matching process is very important. We try to closely match individuals with Providers who have the setting and skills to best accommodate their specialized needs. Although we do our best to match providers with appropriate members, we cannot guarantee placement in your home.

Can I have more than 1 person reside in my home?

Generally, newly licensed Child or Adult Developmental Home Providers are limited to one (1) placed individual by license conditions for approximately one year. Following a combination of factors, a recommendation for a license increase may be possible if the Developmental Program Team is in agreement. Factors to be considered include, but are not limited to:

  • 1 year of continual licensed status
  • Sustained, successful placement of an individual for 6-12 months
  • Positive evaluation from member’s case manager of home suitability to specific client
  • Member compatibility to live with more than 1 individual
  • Increased and improved Provider strengths
  • Absence of Corrective Action Plans, Licensing Inquiries or CPS/APS reports

What are the rates paid for placement compensation?

Rates are paid based on State determined reimbursement levels. A room and board and habilitation component are figured into the rate. Room and board reimburse providers for household expenses, such as groceries and hygiene supplies. Habilitation pays for support and training providers give to the individual placed in their home. The rate also includes alternative caregiver (respite) payment. From time to time, at the sole discretion of HRT and the Management Team, increases may be made to rates to accommodate contract adjustments at the State level or current market impact.

What are my responsibilities as a Developmental Home Provider?

A Child or Adult Developmental Home Provider is responsible for all aspects of an individual’s needs, including activities of daily living and the physical, emotional, educational, medical, social, and other needs of the placed individual. All Providers sign a Developmental Home Agreement, which specifies what the Provider, the State and HRT agree to as placement expectations. Your Licensing Support Specialist will review this document with you during license renewal and at other times when necessary.

Am I responsible for transportation?

Providing transportation to all medical, dental, educational, social and other appointments is a Provider requirement, as spelled out in the Adult or Child Developmental Home Agreement.

Do I get respite?

HRT recognizes the need for our licensed providers to take respite from time to time. In the interest of allowing providers the most flexibility, HRT includes respite funding in the provider rate of reimbursement. This allows our licensed providers to work with alternative caregivers that meet the needs of the members and the needs of each licensed family. The licensed providers then pay alternative caregivers directly at a mutually agreed upon rate. It is the licensed providers’ responsibility to assure that alternative caregivers have been approved by the legal guardian, DDD support coordinator and the HRT support specialist before respite is done. It is also the licensed providers’ responsibility to submit all necessary documentation PRIOR to doing respite.  If an alternative caregiver is not secured, then Licensing support staff will assist in locating options, including other licensed homes. Please ask your Licensing support staff at any time for assistance.

What is involved with license renewal?

Renewal of your license is done every year. To become renewed you must complete ten (10) hours of continuing education training. Maintain current CPR, First Aid, Article 9 (Managing Inappropriate Behaviors), and Prevention and Support (if applicable). Provide updated Physician statements every 3 years, fingerprinting every six years, and an annual state home inspection. Along with training and certifications needed, a reapplication packet is required. Your Licensing Support Specialist will facilitate interviews to complete a home study. A renewal packet is provided approximately 3 months prior with all required paperwork.

What does the Developmental Home Program Team do?

The Developmental Home Program Team members serve in many roles as Licensing Worker, Home Supervisor, DDD Liaison, Training Coordinator and Support Specialist to the homes assigned to them. They monitor homes for licensing regulation compliance on a continual basis and offer technical assistance when areas of need emerge. They complete yearly license renewal studies to keep license status current and facilitate Provider training opportunities. Monthly home visits and quarterly compliance reviews occur to assure compliance with licensing regulations, according to Articles 10 and 11 of the Arizona Administrative Code. We also monitor for Agency Standards for Developmental Home Service Provision. The Licensing Support Specialist also works as a member advocate for individuals placed within our homes through attending service planning meetings, behavioral health meetings, visits to home, programs, etc. We occasionally enjoy leisure pursuits with our families and individuals. We assist our Providers with monthly paperwork completion for each individual by pre-service training and set guidelines for due dates. One of the most important things the Team does is assist Providers and Members to maintain a relationship with other service Team members (Case Managers, Therapists, etc.) by acting as a guide or liaison to get the services and support needed to live a fulfilling life. We proudly foster independence through family homes!

How do I learn more about becoming licensed?

Please contact our Intake Specialist at 602-433-1344 or 888-433-1344. You may also complete our contact form ( The Intake Specialists will contact you to get some information and answer questions. Your information will also be provided to the HRT Developmental Home Program Supervisor who will also contact you to provide more information and answer questions specific to the developmental home program.

DDD Certification (CDCH)

A Child Developmental Certified Home (CDCH) is a foster home licensed by the Department of Child Safety (DCS) that has been certified by the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) to provide care for a specific child or children with developmental disabilities.

HRT partners with DCS licensing agencies to complete the DDD certification process for homes that have a specific child/children with developmental disabilities that they are adopting. The Child/Children must be enrolled with DDD and Arizona Long Term Care Services (ALTCS), through AHCCCS. DCS may pay a higher adoption subsidy rate if the home has DDD Certification. Prospective adoptive parents should discuss this with their DCS adoption caseworker.

For these homes (CDCH):

  • The DCS licensing agency is responsible for monitoring compliance with foster care licensing rules.
  • HRT is responsible for monitoring compliance with the DDD certification requirements.
  • Once the adoption is complete, HRT would close the DDD Certification, and the foster home will continue with their DCS licensing agency.

Join Us

Sign up for news, upcoming events & resources