HRT Foster Care - A Family of Families

Human Resource Training’s Foster Care Program encompasses all levels of foster care; including regular, emergency care, medically fragile, and respite care. HRT ‘s main office for foster care is located in Phoenix, AZ with satellite offices in both Northern and Western Arizona. HRT prides itself on its strength-based approach to foster care and provides individualized support to foster parents. HRT provides both pre-service and on-going training to foster parents as well as 24-hour on-call numbers. Our foster children come from many sources including Child Protective Services, Juvenile Court and several tribal communities. HRT foster parents make a difference in both Arizona’s future and a child’s life.

Foster Child Commercial

FAQ’s About Foster Care & Adoption

What is HRT foster care?

Foster care is the temporary placement of children who, due to abuse and neglect, involved in Child Protective Services (CPS) with families or individuals. Foster parents provide care and supervision while the family works toward living together again.

What makes a good foster parent?

All types of people and families can make good foster parents. Each individual has different strengths and a drive to help others. Foster parents must be patient, flexible, and have a concern for children who are going through a difficult time. Additionally, we need people who genuinely care about children, and are willing to learn new skills, and want to improve a child’s life.

What are the rewards of becoming a foster parent?

Making a difference one child at a time. You are providing a supportive and stable family for children who cannot live with their biological families. You also have the chance to help children feel good about themselves and learn and use special knowledge and skills. Foster parenting is a challenging experience in which you are able to make a difference in a child’s life by protecting them from harm.

What are challenges of becoming a foster parent?

You can also expect challenges such as having to teach children better ways of behaving and consoling children who are sad and disappointed. You may also feel frustrated when you don’t have control over planning and sad when children leave your home. Other challenges include learning new ways of responding to children with special needs and feeling worried if children don’t adjust right away to your home.

What types of children come into foster care?

Children from all different ethnic and racial backgrounds come into the foster care system. Children have typically been separated from their biological families due to abuse or neglect. These children also suffer from trauma and loss in varying degrees.

Is there really a need for foster parenting?

Yes, in Maricopa County there are currently on average over 1,000 children in CPS custody residing in shelters and group homes. Foster homes provide a nurturing and stable environment for children to grow in.

Is there a need for people to take sibling groups?

Yes, we try to keep sibling groups together as they are an important means of support for each other.

Is every foster child eventually reunited with his or her natural family?

No, reunification is not always possible. Sometimes a biological parent dies, suffers from a chronic mental illness, is incarcerated, cannot successfully recover from a gambling or drug addiction, or is unable to appropriately parent their child. In such cases, the goal is to find a permanent home for the child through adoption or guardianship.

Do I have to have contact with the natural parents of my foster child?

Most foster children have regularly scheduled visits with their natural parents as a part of their reunification plan. Foster parents are expected to cooperate with the child’s case plan. However foster parents’ addresses and phone numbers are kept confidential.

What is a HRT Licensing Worker?

Once you are a licensed foster parent you will be assigned an ongoing Licensing Worker. Your Licensing worker is there to provide you with support and advocacy. They are responsible for making sure you meet all licensing requirements.

Will my HRT Licensing Worker visit my home?

Yes, your HRT Licensing Worker will at minimum visit your home monthly at first. This may be increased or decreased as needed.

What is the difference between my HRT Licensing Worker and a CPS Case Manager?

A HRT Licensing Worker is there to support you as a foster parent. A CPS Case Manager is a State employee assigned to work with the natural family and children.

What are HRT’s strengths?

HRT is a family of families. HRT is a smaller agency that has a network of foster parents. We provide a level of service which includes over 26 years of experience working with the foster care system and a committed staff. HRT also provides 24 hour support to our foster parents, including providing you with your HRT Licensing Worker’s home number.

What type of ongoing support does HRT provide?

HRT provides ongoing support including:

  • 24 hours on-call support personnel
  • Respite
  • In-home training
  • Advocacy
  • Surrogate parenting (special-education)
  • Will attend CPS case staffing with you
  • Help match children to your home
What different types of foster parenting does HRT offer?
What is Regular foster care?

A home that provides care to one or more child. All foster children experience some trauma, however children placed in regular foster homes typically exhibit a spectrum of problematic behaviors.

What is an Emergency Receiving Home?

A home that is available to take children on an emergency basis. Often times these children have just been removed from their homes.

What is Respite care?

A home that provides temporary care for children from another foster home. Respite homes may be licensed for and have foster children of their own as well as do respite care.

What is Kinship Foster Care?
A home that provides foster care to relatives who are dependant court wards. Siblings are placed together whenever possible. HRT prides itself on its commitment to license relatives and provide them with the necessary supports needed to care for family members.

Is there a difference in licensing/eligibility for Kinship Foster Care?
No. There is no difference. Relatives must complete the same training and home study as other prospective foster parents, and meet the same eligibility guidelines.

What is Medically Fragile Foster Care?
Foster homes that provide care for children who have or are at risk for chronic physical, developmental, or emotional conditions and who require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required by children generally.
Medically Fragile Resource parents receive a minimum of twelve hours of additional training in pertinent medical issues as well as 24 hour staff support.

Do foster parents receive financial assistance?

Yes, for each child in your home, the state provides foster parents a monthly reimbursement.

What is the rate of reimbursement?

Each child will receive a base rate for room and board per day. Dependent on the age and degree of difficulty of the child, there are additional funds available. There are also reimbursements for clothing, camp, graduation, books, and special occasions.

How long will a foster child live with me?

Foster care is a temporary arrangement for children. The amount of time a foster child spends in a foster home depends on the resolution of the case plan. A child may be placed in foster care for as short as an overnight stay or as long as it takes to achieve a permanent plan for the child. It is the goal for each child to reunite with their parents, however it is the role of the state to find another permanent home for the child if they cannot be reunited safely.

Do I get to pick the type of child I want to work with?

Yes, you will be asked to fill out a profile of the types of children you desire.

Do I get to pick the age and sex of my foster child?

Yes, however we prefer that you be open to different ages, but some families are better suited for infants and toddlers, while others prefer the schedule of school-ages children or teens.

What do I do if I need a vacation? Can my foster child come with me on vacation?

Yes, at HRT we understand that all parents need a vacation. You may take a child with you on vacation with prior approval from the CPS Case Manager or respite with another foster home will be arranged.

If I have an emergency what happens to my foster child?

You will be able to call a 24 hours on-call line and a worker will help you.

What do I do if my foster child has to go to the hospital or gets sick?

Medical and dental coverage is provided by the state through CMDP

Do I have to pay for daycare for my foster child?
The state may assist in paying for daycare.

What if my foster child and I do not get along?

You should immediately contact your HRT Licensing Worker. Foster parents are expected to discuss with their HRT licensing worker problems that come up throughout the placement and other plans may be made if necessary. Changes must be planned carefully to prevent further emotional distress to the child.

Does HRT provide ongoing training?

Yes, there will be an opportunity to attend monthly trainings. Your HRT Licensing Worker can also provide trainings in the home.

Is it true that foster parents cannot spank their foster child?

Yes, foster parents are prohibited by law from using any form of physical punishment. Positive discipline combined with warmth and caring should be used.

Do I have to provide transportation?
Yes, you are required to provide transportation for your foster child’s needs. However, HRT can work with the state to help assist you in any extraordinary transportation needs.

What types of meetings do I have to attend?

As a foster parent you are required to attend all CPS Case Staffings and Foster Care Review Boards (FCRB) as well as any doctors appointments, school staffings, or other meetings specific to your foster child.

Adoption FAQ

What Adoption Services do you provide?

HRT’s programs in Northern and Western Arizona provide Adoption Certification for families wanting to adopt a DES/CPS child.

Is there a fee?

The adoption fee is waived for people wanting to adopt a DES/CPS child. However, a refundable $800.00 fee may be charged to initiate the process. This will be refunded when a child is placed.

What are the requirements to be certified to adopt?

The applicant must be at least 18 years old and have sufficient income to meet household expenses. The applicant must also be fingerprinted, pass a background check, complete a physician’s statement report, provide personal references, complete Pre-Service Training, participate in interviews so a comprehensive home study (social history) can be written by HRT and be able to provide a loving, nurturing and permanent home for a child.

What is the difference between foster care and adoption?

Foster care is the temporary placement of a child with a foster family. Children may be in a foster home for one day or until they reach 18 years of age. Adoption is the permanent placement of a child with a family after the biological parents’ rights have been severed. The adoptive parents assume all the rights and responsibilities of a biological parent.

Do I receive reimbursement for adoption?

There is no set monthly reimbursement for adoption although the State does provide Adoption Subsidy to offset the cost of adopting a special needs child. This may be a monthly reimbursement or money for specific needs of the child.

How do I start?

You may call one of our local offices under contacts or you may call our toll free number.

Can I do both foster care and adoptions?

Yes, you may be licensed to provide foster care and certified to adopt at the same time.